The peak of Mousala is the highest point of Rila Mountain and of Bulgaria as well. In fact, this is the highest point on the Balkan peninsula with its 2925 m. Olympus, Mousala’s rival in Greece, is only a few meters shorter. According to a joke, Greeks could not take the thought that Mousala was higher than Olympus. One night, they piled tons of stones on the peak, yet it remained lower. Mousala’s name is connected to the Ottoman presence. The word means way to god or god’s mountain. According to both translations, the...
- Sofia earned the title of Europe's most affordable travel destination
- Up to 20% more Russian tourists are expected to visit Bulgaria in summer
- Only 10% of the tourists in Bansko this winter were Bulgarian
- Sofia offers the best hotel prices in Europe
- Up to seven percent increase of incoming tourists is expected for the summer
- Borovets offers perfect skiing conditions