An important Roman station on a crossroad on the right side of Osum River hosted Lovech fortress. It is situated on the Hissarya hill. The fortress extends on the upper two terraces of the hill. Hill rocks were integrated in the construction to make the fortress difficult to conquer. This also made undermining of the foundations during a siege impossible. Lovech fortress is the one that resisted the siege of the Byzantine emperor Isaak II Angelos who tried to suppress a Bulgarian revolt. After the failure of the Byzantine siege in 1187, the emperor...
- Sofia earned the title of Europe's most affordable travel destination
- Up to 20% more Russian tourists are expected to visit Bulgaria in summer
- Only 10% of the tourists in Bansko this winter were Bulgarian
- Sofia offers the best hotel prices in Europe
- Up to seven percent increase of incoming tourists is expected for the summer
- Borovets offers perfect skiing conditions