Bulgarian tsar Simeon the Great gave the name of the town of Shoumen. According to historic evidence, the town carried the name Shimeonis, or the town of Simeon, in the past. Shoumen is located in northeastern Bulgaria, nearly 100 km away from Varna . The town is ancient and witnessed many key historic developments. One of the most important fortresses in Bulgaria is situated in Shoumen. During the First Bulgarian Kingdom, the fortress protected the old Bulgarian capitals of Pliska and Preslav . During the revival period, the town...
- Sofia earned the title of Europe's most affordable travel destination
- Up to 20% more Russian tourists are expected to visit Bulgaria in summer
- Only 10% of the tourists in Bansko this winter were Bulgarian
- Sofia offers the best hotel prices in Europe
- Up to seven percent increase of incoming tourists is expected for the summer
- Borovets offers perfect skiing conditions