Distance: 20 km Type: one-day trip Once you head from Asenovgrad to Chepelare , you will notice a tall cliff and the silhouette of Asenova fortress that stands as if protecting the road. The fortress gained strategic importance during the Middle Ages. Its church named St. Bogoroditsa Petrichka is excellently preserved. Visitors can also explore a stone writing that serves as evidence of the connection of the fortress to Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen. The writing says: In the year 1231 the Godly chosen Asen, tsar of Bulgarians,...
- Sofia earned the title of Europe's most affordable travel destination
- Up to 20% more Russian tourists are expected to visit Bulgaria in summer
- Only 10% of the tourists in Bansko this winter were Bulgarian
- Sofia offers the best hotel prices in Europe
- Up to seven percent increase of incoming tourists is expected for the summer
- Borovets offers perfect skiing conditions