St. Vlas is a tiny resort village, located between the resorts of Sunny Beach and Elenite. It can be found 40 km north of Bourgas. St. Vlas was given the status of town only in the beginning of 2006.
The town lies on the southern slopes of Stara Planina Mountain and offers opportunities both for rest and healing. The proximity of the mountain to the shoreline is suitable for the therapy of respiratory and bone diseases.
Numerous tourism complexes having their own pools compensate for the short shoreline. Tourists can also make use of the beach of the nearby Sunny Beach.
Expensive accommodation attracts wealthier tourists to St. Vlas. The town has its yacht harbor, constructed recently. It has become part of the so called Bulgarian Riviera. This is the most visited and popular portion of the coastline, located between the resort of Elenite and the town of Nessebar.
St. Vlas is one of the oldest settlements in the area. According to historic data, the town existed as far back as the 2nd century AD. Its Thracian population gave it the name of Larissa.
During the middle ages a number of monasteries were constructed in the area. Ottomans called the place Kucuk Manastir and in documents it was listed as “Monastery.”
The current name was first mentioned in 1886. It stems from the name of one monastery in the area, burned down in the 18th century.
St. Vlas’s population reaches only 2000 people. The number of tourists during the summer exceeds this figure several times.
The resort of Kamchia and Cape Emine are two of the main attractions located near St. Vlas. The resort is located along the shore of Kamchia River. Forests there give home to some rare plant and animal species.
Emine is a 60m-high rock, rising above the sea. A number of cliffs close to the shore make the passage of ships dangerous. Today Emine preserves the remains of a fortress, a monastery and an old lighthouse.